from the perspective of
|Our family's lives have been profoundly affected by the birth and short life of our daughter, Catherine Grace, whose brain was irreversibly damaged by oxygen deprivation as a result of uterine rupture during a trial of labor after the cesarean section birth of our son.|
|This is a comprehensive bibliography on Vaginal Birth After Cesarean section (VBAC), compiled from 1916 to the present, and updated quarterly. Each paper has been reviewed and abstracted for your convenience. This is a cyberspace collaboration between me and Dr. Philip J. Rosenow, M.D. to make information on VBAC easily accessible to medical practitioners worldwide.|
|We have returned from our ordeal much more knowledgable about the birthing process, and VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) deliveries in particular. Here's some suggestions.|
|Obstetricians tend to categorize deliveries as either vaginal or cesarean, yet VBAC deliveries have considerations not shared by cesarean or non-VBAC vaginal deliveries. It is for this reason that we believe that the formal education from obstetricians should include preparation for VBAC deliveries. Today's medical education system does not adequately prepare its students for VBAC deliveries.|
the risk of VBAC deliveries
|VBAC deliveries are not quite as safe in the real world as they are in the academic institutions that study safety. Here are some suggestions to medical institutions to improve the safety of VBAC deliveries.|
The Anatomy of a Choice
|All women planning hospital births should read this essay. It describes the procedures undertaken during a cesarean section. Reprinted, with permission, from Leilah McCracken's BirthLove Columns.|
Other Birth Stories
- First Nine Months, A Multimedia journey through the first nine months of an unborn child.
- obgyn.net, A physician reviewed service offering medical professionals, women and industry a home for publishing, accessing information and global interaction. We offer three sections, each focusing on different segments of the women's health community: Medical Professionals, Medical Industry and Women.
- Pregnancy Guide Online, takes a look at fetal development, maternal changes and tips for dads for each week of pregnancy.
- Childbirth.org, a variety of informative and personal links relating to childbirth, pregnancy, parenting, early childhood, and infant feeding.
- International Cesarean Awareness Network, cesarean and VBAC info, bookstore, birth stories, chat room
- Cesarean Section Home Page - childbirth.org's info on cesareans and VBACs
- Birthrites: Healing After Caesarean Inc. - support network for women who've had a previous c/section: telephone contacts, weekly "get-togethers", suggested reading list, VBAC information, women's birthing rituals.
- BirthLove , raises awareness of the plight of women undergoing medicalized childbirth.
- StorkNet, the fun and interactive online resource for parents-to-be and new parents.
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the professional ob/gyn organization
- The Global Regional Anesthesia Web Site, lots of medically related links
- U.S. Government's Health Finder, medical info, screened for accuracy
- American Academy of Family Physicians, medical info
- Virtual Hospital, online medical reference
- Stanford University Medical Center
- Stanford's Lane Medical Library
- American Medical Asssociation
- AMA Physician Select
[ Catherine Grace | VBAC Bibliography | VBAC Suggestions | VBAC Education | VBAC Safety ]
[ Home ]